Organic Little Gem Lettuce - Lactuca sativa
An absolute gourmet treat! This English heirloom is a miniature green Romaine-type lettuce with butterhead sweetness. Also known as Sucrine and Sugar Cos. Prime eating at 4" - 6" tall. Heads are 4" across. Tender blanched hearts. A very popular variety among top chefs.
- Sun: Full-partial
- Indoors: 3-6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: After soil is workable
- Seed Count: 250
- Days to Maturity: 35-55
- Plant Size: 4"-8"
Likes cool weather but can withstand the heat! Add compost to soil. For a continuous harvest make successive plantings every 10-14 days.
It is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.