Organic Winter Luxury Pumpkin - Cucurbita pepo
This perfect petite heirloom pumpkin won our hearts! It is a perfect size, weighing about 6 pounds and offering the taste and texture that you expect from a classic pumpkin! Dating back to 1893, this amazing variety has been holding on strong and we are excited to be featuring it!
- Sun: Full
- Indoors: 6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: After last frost
- Seed Count: 20
- Days to Maturity: 70-75
- Plant Size: 6'-10' vines
Thin to healthiest seedlings. Thrives in cool weather. Amend with compost. Apply mulch at base. Place fruits on boards to protect from moisture.
When starting seeds indoors, it is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.