Organic Cocozelle Summer Zucchini - Cucurbita pepo
Organic, Open-Pollinated, Non-GMO Cocozelle Summer Zucchini Seeds
Another gorgeous heirloom from Italy. Dark green fruit with wonderful light green stripes. The compact bush type vines produces early and abundant summer squash with a pleasant mild nutty flavor. Flesh stays firm even when larger. The male blossoms can be used in salads, soups or battered and fried. The mature fruits 3"-12" can be used for a wide array of culinary delights including; slicing fresh, steaming, baking, frying, in soups, or zucchini bread and can be preserved by drying, canning, freezing and even pickling!
- Sun: Full
- Indoors: 2-3 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: After last frost
- Seed Count: 25
- Days to Maturity: 50
- Plant Size: 18"-36"
Direct sow 2-4 seeds per 12" diameter mound. Keep mounds 2'-3' apart. Plant in warm soil. Thin to 1 or 2 strongest plants. Mulch at base of plant.
If starting seeds indoors, it is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown