Organic Rouge d’Hiver Lettuce - Lactuca sativa
Translated to English "Red of Winter" is an elegant French romaine lettuce. Also known as Cimmaron, this variety was described in Vilmorin's "The Vegetable Garden" (1885).
Produces bronze-red outer leaves with a deep green heart. D'Hiver turns a deeper red in the cold. Tolerant of both heat and cold. This lettuce has large, broad leaves, 10"-12" heads, that are both buttery and crisp in texture with a sweet taste.
An exquisitely colorful addition to salads, sandwiches and as a bed for other dishes.
- Sun: Full- Partial
- Indoors: 3-6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: When soil is workable
- Seed Count: 600
- Days to Maturity: 60
- Plant Size: 4"-12"
Will grow into the space that is provided, give space if possible. For a continuous harvest, make successive plantings every 10-14 days. Best grown in cooler weather or shade. If sowing indoors, harden off before planting.
Hardening off is a process that requires taking seedlings outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are transplanted into the ground. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and keep them moist. Make sure they have not blown over.