Organic Golden Acre Cabbage - Brassica oleracea
This beautiful cabbage is very uniform and round with tightly folded heads. It produces tender heads 5"-8" in diameter quite early in the season. If space is an issue this variety can be planted closer than many other cabbages. It is a very fine cabbage for coleslaw, sauerkraut and slow cooking.
- Sun: Full
- Indoors: 5-6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: After last frost
- Seed Count: 50
- Days to Maturity: 60-80
- Plant Size: 12"-18"
Do not plant in same location as previous year to minimize diseases.
When starting seeds indoors, it is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.