Organic Calabrese Broccoli - Brassica oleracea
Italian immigrants brought this variety to the U.S. in the 1880's. This delectable blueish-green broccoli produces tight heads 5" - 8" in diameter. After main head is harvested many tender side shoots appear until frost. Wonderful steamed, sauteed, fresh and great for freezing and canning.
- Sun: Full- Partial
- Indoors: 6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: After last frost
- Seed Count: 100
- Days to Maturity: 50-80
- Plant Size: 24"-30"
Keep soil moist while seeds are germinating. Recommended to sow indoors in short seasons. Amend with compost and apply mulch at base. If starting indoors, harden off before planting. An excellent sprouting variety.
If starting seeds indoors, it is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.