Organic Vate's Dwarf Blue Kale Seeds - Brassica oleracea
Organic Non-GMO Open Pollinated Vate's Blue Kale Seeds
Tightly curled curves reveal leaves with a deep green color with a hint of blue, thus the name. A compact, hardy plant that can withstand winter temperatures, with some protection. Overwinters well and is slow to bolt.
Vate's is crisp and tender, when massaged. A delicious kale, perfect in salads, steamed or sauteed. Holds well after harvest.
- Sun: Partial- Full
- Indoors: 6-8 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: When soil is workable
- Seed Count: 250
- Days to Maturity: 42-60
- Plant Size: 12"-16"
While seeds are germinating, keep soil evenly moist. Mulch at base. Prefers cool, moist soil. Continual harvest promotes growth. Do successive plantings every 4-5 weeks. Carefully tear back to stem base.
If starting seeds indoors, it is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.