Organic Amish Paste Tomato - Lycopersicon lycopersicum
Organic Non-GMO Open-Pollinated Amish Paste Tomato Seeds
This super versatile and delicious tomato originated in Medford, the oldest Amish settlement, in Matthew’s home state of Wisconsin many moons ago. "Rediscovered" in more Amish country near Lancaster, Pa. Its bright red, plum to roma shaped fruits, average 8 – 12 ounces of rich, meaty, tasty flesh.
Amish Paste can be enjoyed fresh or is ideal for homemade marinara sauce, salsa, soups, ketchup and canning. This specialty heirloom tomato is listed with Slow Foods Ark of Taste, a clear distinction of its quality.
- Sun: Full
- Indoors: 3-6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: No
- Seed Count: 25
- Days to Maturity: 64 - 70
- Plant Size: 6'-10' vine
Seeds should be planted indoors and kept in a dome with a heated mat for 4-8 weeks.
It is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.