Organic Sweet Basil - Ocimum basilicum
This aromatic and tender herb is one of the most common herbs worldwide. Commonly used in Asian and Italian cookery, sweet basil's fragrance is something you want in your garden. Grows great in containers and directly seeded. Enjoying full sun, this delicious annual is a prolific plant growing to 18" - 24". Be sure to enjoy its harvest before it begins to get cold, it is very sensitive to cold weather.
Also used for natural remedies.
- Sun: Full
- Indoors: 4-6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: After last frost
- Seed Count: 200
- Days to Maturity: 50-80
- Plant Size: 10"-12"
Plant every 3 weeks for continual harvest. When central stem is 6" pinch off the top. Thin to strongest plants. Add mulch at base. If transplanting, harden off. Add row cover, if needed. Harvest leaves and flowers regularly to promote growth.
It is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.