Organic Buttercrunch Lettuce - Lactuca sativa
An All-American Selections winner in 1963 this butter head lettuce is heat resistant, long lasting, bolt resistant and free of mosaic disease.
Productive rosette heads have a delicate sweet buttery flavor. Thick, juicy and soft textured Buttercrunch is great for any salad and contrasts nicely with stronger lettuces such as Romaine.
- Sun: Full- Partial
- Indoors: 3-6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: When soil is workable
- Seed Count: 600
- Days to Maturity: 40-70
- Plant Size: 4"-12"
Keep seeds moist while germinating. Will grow into the space that is provided, give space if possible. Add compost to soil. For a continuous harvest, make successive plantings every 10-14 days. Water only in the morning, do not spray leaves.
When starting seeds indoors, it is key to harden off your seedlings. Hardening off is a process that requires taking seedlings outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are transplanted into the ground. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and keep them moist. Make sure they have not blown over.