Organic Yellow Pear Tomato - Lycopersicon lycopersicum
The Yellow Pear is an extremely productive very old heirloom, producing tasty, pretty yellow, small pear shaped tomatoes. The adorable fruits are wonderful fresh as a snack, in salads and a great addition to salsa fresca. They are also great in pasta dishes, as an hors d'oeurve or for making tomato preserves.
- Sun: Full
- Indoors: 3-6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: No
- Seed Count: 25
- Days to Maturity: 70-80
- Plant Size: 5'-6'
Indeterminate. Do not plant seeds too early. They may become leggy and/or root bound. If necessary, use row cover to protect your seedlings/plants from cold weather. Use stakes or cages for support.
Seeds should be planted indoors and kept in a dome with a heated mat for 4-8 weeks.
It is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.