Organic Yugoslavian Red Butter Lettuce - Lactuca sativa
This luscious butter lettuce is a delight in any salad! A fantastic heirloom from former Yugoslavia that offers us the perfect texture and flavor we would expect from a butter lettuce. Perfect in salads, as a wrap, or used as a salad cup!
- Sun: Full-partial
- Indoors: 6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: After last frost
- Seed Count: 200
- Days to Maturity: 58
- Plant Size: 6"-10"
Likes cool weather. Add compost to soil. For continuous harvest, make successive plantings every 10-14 days.
If starting seeds indoors, it is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.